Thursday, February 10, 2011

Rififi Assignment

I hope you liked Rififi more than you thought you would!

OK. Remember, this assignment is MORE practice for the Presentation assessment next year. Choose a 5 minute scene in Rififi to analyze. There may be clips on YouTube, but you can also come into the library to re-watch scenes.

After you have your 5 minute scene chosen, analyze it completely. Remember that you need to mention why you chose the scene and this scene's relation to the film as a whole. In addition, pay close attention to: mise en scene, lighting, camera angles, shot types, etc. Here is a list of items to pay attention to when you are writing your 750 words (at least) and when you are doing your oral presentation:

  • How well do I understand how meaning is constructed through the use of film language in this extract?
  • How well do I understand the extract’s relationship to the film as a whole?
  • How well do I understand the influences of the film’s genre?
  • How well can I place the film and this extract in a broader socio-cultural context?
  • How insightful is my analysis of the director’s intention?
  • How coherent, incisive, insightful, and detailed is my evaluative interpretation of this contract?

Here is a list of "vocab" you can use:
narrative
direction
cinematography
mise-en-scene
lighting (which is often, but not always, considered part of mise-en-scene)
camera movement
editing
sound (diagetic and non-diagetic)

Be sure your paper is AT LEAST 750 words. Let your ideas flow. Don't keep counting words and they will come. I promise you. As you start talking about what you see and hear in the film, you won't want to stop!

Please see me/email me with questions if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment